Wednesday, January 11, 2012

better late than never

I am late, a lot, and I don't usually care. I like to think I am getting better about it, and trying to be respectful of others. True to form, here is my 2011 recap: late. I really wanted to do one, but feel like I will probably mostly ramble. So, I have stolen this survey from my friend Jolie.... and I'm pretty sure she got it from somewhere else in blogland. 


....................................................................................................................................


1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
We made our own Christmas cards, and we successfully worked with a cash budget all year!


2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't really know that I had resolutions. I started a 101 in 1001 in the beginning of 2011 and have been slowly working on those goals.... and I will continue to do so. I kind of feel like resolutions don't stick, and typical "I will ...... everyday" resolutions are a setup for failure. There are always things I would like to change and improve, but I don't wait for the new year to work on them.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! We welcomed the Jones' baby, the Reale baby, and the Goeglein baby! I knew a lot of other babies too, but we are not as close.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Josh's Great Grandma passed away early in the year.

5. What countries did you visit?
None.

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
The ability to not work. A simpler and more organized house [same house, just simpler and more organized with our possessions].

7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Not much is sticking out to me. I will always remember our first family vacation in Florida in May. We had traveled a lot with Merit, but always to family or with family. It was so fun to go on a little excursion with just the 3 of us. Even if we all ended up really sick and came home early.
The other dates to remember are things I won't forget and will be celebrated every year (anniversary, birthdays). Fourth of July weekend was really great this year too - Josh and I camped out and canoed while Merit spend the night away from us for the first time. We picked him up and headed to a friends lakehouse for more camping, relaxing and boating fun.

water skiing

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I don't think I had any big achievements. The little things include: quitting my job and working from home, making visible progress with the kids I watch, loosing pregnancy weight, managing our budget and helping us to actually stick to it.
As a family, we paid of 4 school loans and a car! We kept our kid alive, healthy and happy, and made a new one!

9. What was your biggest failure?
I often feel like a failure when it comes to managing the house. It's hard for me to keep up with housework no matter how well I plan. It has been hard to balance being home with the kids and not actually accomplishing anything aside from the kids.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
In May, on vacation, I had a sinus infection and double ear infection (we all had something similar). Later in the year I had a nasty cold that lasted a couple months along with a broken rib and morning sickness. No injuries though.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A couple good pairs of maternity jeans. It seriously makes a world of a difference.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Merit! I am so proud of that boy! He is such a joy, so obedient. He is kind-hearted. He loves everyone he meets, especially other kids. He will willingly share if you ask him too (even after he refused). He is such a blessing.
Merit and I on a hike
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The honest answer is probably: my own. Not always, but sometimes I am most saddened by how selfish and hurtful I can be.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Unless you think we're loaded, I hope it's obvious that most of our money goes towards living expenses. Otherwise, we probably spend the most money on travel. Besides our vacation, we make several out of town trips to visit family every year. Our other purchases are normally things we ask for as gifts, or things we bargain shop for.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Quitting my office job in April, paying off debts.... other little things that I can't specifically remember.

16. What songs will always remind you of 2011?
This is not a question for me... my mind so doesn't work this way. 


17. Did you make any new friendships?
Yes! I have become much better friends with Jolie, and met a fantastic group of people through my bro & sis in law. I have made a few other random friendships with other moms at school and the library.

18. Did you go on vacation?
Yes! We drove to Florida and spent some great time on the beach. It was so fun to see Merit experience the sand and the water. I loved being on a trip with just the 3 of us. It was extra special for me to stay at the motel that my great grandfather built himself too!
our spot on the beach


19. What do you wish you had done (more and less) of?
More – kept in touch with friends, written more [off and on line],
Less – mindless internet surfing and other things that waste time

20. How did you spend the holidays?
Family. Family is always a huge part of how we spend holidays. Our families live close, and that makes for a hectic time going to different houses to see everyone. But, being so loved is a good problem to have and we are grateful.

21.  What new food did you discover?
I can't remember if we discovered Mama Mimi's in 2011 or not.... we love it. We also go through some weeks living basically on rice bowls and steamed veggies, which I think started in 2011 as well?

22. What was your favorite TV program?
I love Modern Family and The Parenthood. I also got really into The Biggest Loser and Survivor this fall and watched every episode. Those are usually only things we watch when there is nothing better on.

23.  What was one of your favorite experiences of the year?
Vacation, camping and canoeing with Josh, and taking the kids to the splash pad.

24. What was the best book you read?
I didn't read too much this year. It's hard to drag 3 kids to browse anywhere except the children's section of the library peaceably! I recently did read Kisses from Katie and I must say that it has definitely influenced a life-change.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
uh?

26. What did you want and get?
A lot. I wanted to be pregnant again. I wanted a puppy [not at the same time, but I got that too]. I wanted to work at home and watch the kids. I wanted to vacation in Florida. I wanted a giant trampoline and I got that too!

27. What did you want and not get?
I really, really wanted to go backpacking this year and it didn't happen. I also want to go to Panama and that didn't happen either.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I can't remember! I will update this if I think of something...

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 24 in April. I was at COSI with the kids and a friend.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A different church situation. Let me be clear though, that it wasn't our church itself that was altogether dissatisfying.... it was just some situations surrounding church this year.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
ha. leftovers? I think that for as long as I am continuing to have kids, my fashion concept will be in-between. In-between sizes and how things fit and old clothes and new clothes and hand me downs..... Plus, my wardrobe previously was a lot of casual work clothes, so I am still adjusting [my wardrobe] to casual clothes.

32. What kept you sane?
My wonderful husband. My ever joyful son.


33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I can't say that I really pay attention...

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
I'm not really stirred by politics. It's to a fault, actually. But, the mandatory sewer connect and resulting [unending] construction on my street has gotten me pretty salty.

35. Who did you miss?
I have somewhat lost touch with lots of friends, and I miss them. I miss close friends that are now far-away. Kat, Hannah, Heather.... my cousins. Other friends we used to be extremely close with and now are drifting.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Haha! This seems like an unfair question to all my new friends. I don't know that I could choose anyone if I wanted to.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Probably to save your money when you are young! We are making less money than ever before and have more to show for it than ever before. It makes me wonder where all the money went when we were both working full time.... and wishing it went towards something worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment