Friday, August 12, 2011

Project: Convert Cloth Diapers

I mentioned in a past post that I was spending some time on some craft-type projects. One of them was to rehab our cloth diapers. Yes, we use cloth diapers. I am really passionate about that, so you can look forward to a post all about it in the future. For now, I'll try to stay focused on what I've been working on. [if you're looking for more information, contact me or google "cloth diapers"]

bumGenius 4.0 One-Size Stay-Dry Cloth diaper When I bought diapers, the brand/style I chose was only made with aplix (velcro). I knew that aplix could wear out faster than snaps, but at the time, I was still working on convincing Josh it would be "just as easy as disposables" and knew that velcro-style was in my favor.

So here we are, over a year later with our same stash of diapers. By the way, we have probably spent only $400 [including some disposables at first] on diapers in over a year! Did you know the estimated average cost of disposable diapers in the first year is a minimum of $800? Most parents I know would probably estimate more than that.


I have to admit though, that Merit has now learned how to pull off the diapers himself, and the aplix was starting to pill or separate from the diaper. I have been looking into converting the aplix to snaps, but didn't want to ship my diapers away to have someone do it. I looked for someone local to no avail. I finally found a site that sold the tools/materials for a good price. Since snaps are sold by the 100s, I did not want to buy 100 of every color I needed, so I decided I would use some contrasting colors. $35 dollars later, I have the tools and snaps to convert half my stash. I want to leave the aplix on some, because it really is easier for a newborn and those late-night changes. And yes, I do plan on using the same diapers for future children!

I worked on converting during quiet time or while watching TV, and in no time at all, I had fresh snappy diapers!

Next, I used the "loop" that I tore off, sat down with my good friend Mr. Singer, and redid the laundry tabs on the remaining aplix diapers. Originally, the laundry tabs were made to hold the "hook" part in place so the diapers don't get stuck all over each other in the laundry. This didn't really work since the "loop" on the laundry tabs didn't really hold.

As I've mentioned, I really enjoy these types of projects. So, I got to unwind while working on it, and my diapers are truly better than new!

On that note, if anyone else is looking for help revamping their diapers - I'm available for hire. Or help.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you are using cloth diapers. The thought was there for me when C was born, but I don't know anyone who uses them so I was at a loss. I would love to hear what brand you use and some of your tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I'm working on a cloth diaper post with more info! Just trying to organize all the info.

    And I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier.... I wasn't able to comment on my own blog! But I fixed it now :)

    ReplyDelete