Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cloth Diapers at the Scheutzow Ranch: II

What We Use

There is SO MUCH great information online! In fact, there are SO many options that it really can be overwhelming. I am having a hard time weeding through the info and how much I should share here. I don't want my posts to be overwhelming, but I do want them to be informational [and I want to give full disclosure about my experiences]. Josh is probably already rolling his eyes at how much I've written, but I feel justified by the fact that everyone I know who is a parent, is expecting, or wants to have kids someday asks me tons of questions about our diapers!

I've chosen NOT to explain every type of diaper or option here. That info is all over the web. Here is a great resource from Kelly's Closet about the "Four Basic Types of Cloth Diapers" and much more info that I highly recommend [and found very useful myself]. Here is another one with videos from mothering magazine. Some parents like to try different kinds and styles before committing, which is a good idea. There were so many options to research and no baby to try them on (yet) so we just picked something and jumped in.

We bought 26 Bumgenius 3.0 [3.0 has since been discontinued but they are very similar to 4.0] one size pocket diapers to start. I thought that pocket diapers were very user-friendly, extremely similar to disposables in function. They were also more versatile and easier to clean than AIO [All in Ones]. They would grow with my baby [and future babies]. The fleece pulled the moisture away from the skin. And they seemed more affordable than other pocket diapers on the market. They seemed to have the most desirable qualities from both cloth and disposables.

I thought 26 seemed like a good starting number. The estimate online was that a newborn would use 10 to 12 diapers a day. I quickly found that we were averaging slightly above that, but 26 diapers gave me time to use cloth 100% of the time and do laundry every 1.5 days. More on that routine later.

Later, when I wanted more diapers but couldn't justify spending more money, we added 12 prefolds, 3 covers and 1 snappi to our stash (craigslist). A prefold is basically what my mom used back in the day, and instead of fastening with pins I used a snappi. Some people also just lay the prefold inside the cover without fastening it separately. The cover holds it against the baby. While this does work just fine, I prefer to use the snappi. When the diaper is spread around baby's bum with a snappi, poo is less likely to get on the cover. These covers don't need to be washed after every use unless they're soiled.

Later again, we added 2 more snappis (local: Sprout Soup) and then 24 birdseye cotton flats (Target). I had read that flats are the quickest drying and surprisingly absorbent. I had friends who used these as burp cloths (the best burp cloths!) so I knew my money wouldn't be wasted. We use them folded in half or doubled up and with a snappi. We love to go camping and backpacking, and this is the style that was recommended because they are easy to hand wash (the thin fabric washes thoroughly), quick drying, and trim on baby or for packing. Even if they aren't being hand-washed, it is recommended to dry out used diapers since the wetness is the heaviest part. YES, some people do use sposies when they travel, but on the trail, you're packing out what you bring in whether your diapers are cloth or disposable.

We honestly use all these diapers on a regular basis. I started off just using the prefolds at home on laundry day so that I could 'take my time' with the washing and drying. I personally like the flats even better. I think they are softer against baby skin and much less bulky.

The pocket diapers are still our go-tos. I always make sure those are available for night time, and try to keep the diaper bag stocked with them. They are quick and easy to use anywhere, anytime.

My favorite thing about the pockets is that I can adjust the absorbent material. These diapers came with 2 microfiber inserts, one smaller and one larger. We used the smaller ones alone at first (less bulk too). After a couple months we were using the larger ones at night and during naps. Eventually we were using the larger ones all the time and the smaller and larger ones together at night. As Merit grows and his needs change, we bought some hemp inserts. Hemp is more absorbent than microfiber, so it is thinner for us to add the hemp than an additional small microfiber insert. When that wasn't holding for our great sleeper, we started adding in a flat too! This combo is what we currently use and it holds all night long. Other cloth diapering families just use a disposable at night, and there is nothing wrong with that either. I even know parents who were using 2 disposables at night (literally one on top of the other).

If there is one thing I want to stress, it's that cloth diapers are just like everything else with babies. Read: there is not ever going to be one thing that works for everyone every time. Sometimes more research/creativity/innovation/absorbent material is needed no matter what path you're on. What I love about cloth diapers is that there are a lot of ways to get the same result.

Another example of this is regarding the fleece liner which I mentioned I love about my pocket diapers. If you are on a tight budget and choose prefolds or flats, you can literally place a fleece liner on the part that will be nearest to babies skin for the same wicking effect.

We also use cloth swim diapers. I honestly feel like every parent could benefit from cloth swim diapers! No swim diaper has absorbent material - if baby pees, it goes right into the water. The diaper is there to catch the poo. Disposable swim diapers are expensive! We have 2 to alternate with the wash, but I have actually just rinsed well after using along with Merit's bathing suit and used again without an actual wash while on vacation.




Disclaimer: As with all things in parenting, each family must find the type/style/system/products that work for them. And I realize that for someone else these things might not be the best, but these posts are about what works for us. I [obviously] believe that cloth is the best option, but that does not mean I judge you if you're a disposable user. If my writing comes across as passionate, it is just that. Do not take it personally!! I think that most parents are uninformed when it comes to cloth diapers. There is enough new ground to pioneer when you become a parent, and going against the social norms can seem extra overwhelming.

4 comments:

  1. I just ordered 6 more diapers through diapers.com. They are having a special buy 5 get one freeeeee! Yay! Great post btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the disclaimer! ;) This is overwhelming but you are so thorough! Sometime I might ask you for a tutorial with all that layering, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can speak for the "Old Dog New Tricks" portion of the story.. even G-Pops and I can use these diapers, and put them together after a wash, and I am NOT very savvy to the new-fangled equipment and such. Other than one dumb moment mistaking a day diaper for a night one (there was a PIN to mark which one it was - DUH!) I think we've done ok. Once again, today's parents have so many more cool handy gadgets and improvements than we did. (Of course, OUR parents said the same thing about our stuff!) I still think the Pack-n-Play, which being ingenious, has it out for me, and REFUSES to unfold without a wrestle and a sore back for me! Eventually, we've just learned to keep it set up! (Kind of defeats the purpose of the Pack part, doesn't it?) :-) What a lucky grandson we have to have such smart parents! You rock those diapers, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is awesome to hear a grandma's point of view. I am considering going cloth, but I'm not sure if the grandmas will be OK with babysitting knowing they will have to adapt to a new system.

    Also the pack-n-play is evil...and I'm saying that first as an aunt and now as a mom!

    ReplyDelete