Saturday, August 27, 2011

Cloth Diapers at the Scheutzow Ranch - IV

Last Words

These are probably not my last words about diapers on the blog. First, I want to thank you for sticking with me! The thing that is hard to get across is that the process really is SIMPLE. Once you find the diapers and the routine that works for you. Even Josh will say that it is pretty easy.

I do have some final tips:

Buy Used/Seconds
There are lots of opportunities to buy used diapers [or sell diapers you don’t want]. I see them on craigslist all the time, and there are online communities like diaperswappers.com. Seconds are sold online and have something minor ‘wrong.’ They function properly and can be used normally, but cannot be sold at retail price. Maybe they are 1/4 inch too small or large, the stitch color is not correct, things like that.

Fleece & Wool
Wool is naturally waterproof! Some cding parents use fitteds/prefolds/flats with wool as a cover. Some people also use wool “longies” which are basically wool pants over their diapers at night to discourage leaking all over the bed. Fleece works well too, and both are more breathable than the PUL covers. I have put Merit to bed in fleece pants many nights.

It’s Never Too Late
It’s really never too late to make the switch. If you are planning on having more children, choose a diaper system that can be passed on or work for everyone. There are cloth training pants too, if you’re at that stage already.

Cloth is for Everyone
Did you know there are cloth nursing pads and cloth mama pads? I’m not advocating these now, jus’ saying.

Parenting is an Adventure
So is cloth diapering! So is choosing baby food! So are sleeping/bedtime/napping routines! Once you get the hang of it, talk to other parents, and make your decision, it isn’t that big of a deal after all.

Talk to Others
Have questions? Ask away! Post in the comments or email me. Diapershops.com on facebook has also been an incredible resource for me to be able to see what other mamas are doing, see their questions/answers, and ask questions on their forums.



Disclaimer: As with all things in parenting, each family must find the type/style/system/products that work for them. And I realize that for someone else these things might not be the best, but these posts are about what works for us. I [obviously] believe that cloth is the best option, but that does not mean I judge you if you're a disposable user. If my writing comes across as passionate, it is just that. Do not take it personally!! I think that most parents are uninformed when it comes to cloth diapers. There is enough new ground to pioneer when you become a parent, and going against the social norms can seem extra overwhelming.

1 comment: